Plumbing Permits

All new installations, major repairs and modifications to the plumbing system of any structure require plumbing permits and inspections.

The following list is an example of plumbing work requiring permits and inspections:

  • Soil pipe connections
  • Replacements of sewer laterals
  • Vent pipe installation
  • Installation of water supply lines
  • Replacement of plumbing fixtures

Plumbing permits are issued to Master Plumbers or Drainlayers who are licensed by St. Louis County. Plumbers licensed by St. Louis County also receive a license from University City. One may verify that a contractor is licensed by calling the Community Development Department or visiting the following website.  Plumbing homeowner permits may be issued if specific criteria are met.

Homeowner Plumbing tests may be taken only ONCE per 12 month period.

Applications for plumbing permits can be submitted to The Community Development Department, located on the 4th floor of City Hall. The hours of operation are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The office is closed on all City holidays. 

  • Applications for commercial buildings must be accompanied by 2 sets of plumbing plans that have been sealed, signed and dated by a Missouri registered design professional.
  • Plumbers must show proof of license from St. Louis County as well as a second form of identification (such as a driver's license) when applying for a permit with University City. 

Plumbing homeowner permits

 A permit may be issued to the owner or to a member of the owner's immediate family (defined as a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, parent, or child of the subject person) for the repair or modification (including the installation of additional fixtures) of an existing plumbing or drainage system on the premises of a detached single-family dwelling, including accessory structures where the applicant meets all of the following requirements:

  • The homeowner legally occupies the building and has a valid occupancy permit.
  • The homeowner takes and passes an open book exam. The exam is based on the currently adopted edition of the International Residential Code (Chapters 3, 25-32). A current edition of the code book is available for use at the Community Development Department.
  • The homeowner obtains a plumbing permit to perform work that meets the standards of University City's adopted ordinances and codes.
  • The homeowner personally performs all the work.

A homeowner's permit shall not be issued for the installation or repair of;

  • Sewer laterals or building drains,
  • Water service from the main to the point where it enters the main structure, or 
  • Any gray-water system.   

Please Note:

  • The homeowner’s permit may be revoked by the Building Official if it is determined that work under the permit is not being properly performed or that the application or applicant did not comply or no longer complies,  at which time the property owner may be required to procure a licensed plumber to correct or complete the work.  
  • A homeowner's permit is only applicable only to single-family, owner occupied units.