Trash, Recycling, Yard Waste, Leaf Collection
- NEW BUSINESS OR RESIDENCE ?
- SERVICE ROUTES & BILLING CYCLE
- CURBSIDE BULK COLLECTION
- CURBSIDE LEAF COLLECTION
- SPECIAL COLLECTION PROGRAMS
- COLLECTION GUIDELINES
- HOLIDAY REFUSE SCHEDULE
- CART & DUMPSTER RENTAL
Contact the Finance Department at 314-505-8544 to set up your new solid waste (refuse) billing account. The Public Works Department will deliver a trash cart and recycling cart to your address, if needed.
Billing statements for solid waste service are sent on a staggered schedule depending on the route schedule, rather than all at once. Your designated route is shown in this map:
Collection Day Billing Month
Guidelines for Disposing of Furniture and Appliances
This service allows residents to dispose of large furniture and appliances that are not accepted during regularly scheduled weekly collections. Bulk item collection occurs twice per year for every neighborhood, once in the spring and once in the fall. Bulk items are collected based on whether your address is located in the east, west or central. Acceptable bulk items are only collected by City staff at the front curb. Please do not dump items in alleys, streets or yards. TELEVISIONS AND COMPUTERS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED. The City has electronics collection events in the spring and fall.
CLICK HERE FOR CURBSIDE BULK TRASH COLLECTION SCHEDULE
Leaf Collection Guidelines to Residents
To ensure prompt service, leaves must be raked to the curb line the Sunday before collection begins in your area. To check for collection dates in your area, refer to the schedule below or look for the white banners in your area announcing collection times. Yard waste bags are not required if you choose to rake the leaves to the curb line for collection by University City staff during scheduled leaf collection periods. In addition, yard waste bag stickers are NOT required from October 15th - December 31st.
Please do not mix other yard waste (gumballs, trash, small tree branches/limbs, brush and grass clippings) in with leaves. Yard waste should be placed in the biodegradable bags to be picked up by the City on your regular trash and recycling collection day. Yard waste bags do NOT need stickers from October 15th to December 31st. Contact Public Works and Parks at 314-505-8560 with questions.
Curbside Leaf Collection Schedule
Special Bulk Item Collection Program
Residents who want to get rid of household junk and do not want to wait for the scheduled curbside bulk collections (in April and September) can call the Public Works and Parks Department to schedule a special bulk item pick up for a fee.
Only household (bulk) items that would normally be collected as part of the Bulk Item Collection will be accepted in this special bulk waste collection program (i.e. sofas, chairs, mattresses, stoves, refrigerators (doors must be removed), dishwashers, fans, lamps, carpet, tables, rugs, washer and dryers). Some items, such as counter tops, sinks, toilets, faucets, cabinets and wood fencing can be accepted. Please call Public Works and Parks at 505-8560 to inquire about these items. Computers and Televisions are no longer accepted.
Hazardous materials, TV or computers, yard waste, tree stumps or limbs, building construction debris/materials, drywall, roofing shingles, concrete, bricks, landscaping stones/boulders or household trash are not permitted.
Fees and Instructions: CLICK HERE FOR AGREEMENT FORM
The pickup fee must be paid in advance. The collection (pick-up) will be scheduled upon receipt of payment. The pickup fee is $25 per item up to a maximum of $200 per pickup for up to 10 items. In order to accommodate each request, pickups will be scheduled 7 days after the City receives the application and payment. Collections are scheduled only on a Tuesday or Friday. Residents may request a particular pickup day, but Public Works and Parks will approve the final date. Items should be placed at the curb within 24 hours of the scheduled pickup.
Residents must follow these guidelines for all household trash, recycling, and yard waste disposal:
• Every household should have one black trash and one blue recycling roll-out cart OR access to a trash or recycling dumpster. Household trash or recycling must be placed in the designated roll-out cart or dumpster for collection. No trash or recycling placed outside the container will be collected.
• Owners/residents are responsible for the security of roll-out carts and for their daily care. City personnel will make routine repairs at no charge and carts may be replaced based on the condition (as determined by the City).
• Collection is scheduled weekly. Carts must be curbside no later than 6:30am on your day of collection or at the curb after 5 pm on the day before the scheduled collection. Carts must be rolled back by 9:00pm on the day of collection.
• Cart capacity is 200 pounds; please do not overload.
• Residents are responsible for ensuring truck access to the cart and that the cart is not more than four (4) feet from the curb or street.
• Make sure there are no obstructions within 4 feet of the cart (i.e. another cart, parked car, street light, tree, etc.).
• Please do not overload your cart. Materials spilling from overloaded carts may litter the street. Overloaded carts may not be emptied and you may be ticketed.
• Please place only trash in the trash cart – recycling must be separated and placed in the blue cart.
• Yard waste (leaves, grass clippings, brush and small tree trimmings) is banned from Missouri landfills and may not be placed in any furnished City container. Yard Waste must be placed in brown, biodegradable paper bags with a City yard waste sticker attached.
• Hazardous materials, tires, commercial items or business equipment, construction debris, medical waste, tires, batteries, liquid waste of any kind (i.e. paint), appliances (microwaves, freon units, etc.), florescent bulbs, e-waste (computers, printers, etc.), heavy rigid metal, motor oil, televisions CANNOT be placed in the trash cart.
• Contact the Public Works and Parks Department at 314-505-8560 if the cart is damaged (lids, wheels or body). The City will first try to repair the cart. If the cart cannot be repaired, it will be replaced.
• Contact the Public Works and Parks Department at 314-505-8560 if you need a recycling cart.
Trash pickup is affected only when the holiday falls on or before the normal collection day. In this event trash pickup is one day later than normal collection with a Saturday route added to maintain a five-day pickup schedule. For example, if the holiday falls on a Monday, the Monday trash and recycling route is collected on Tuesday, the Tuesday route is collected on Wednesday, etc. Check your University City Calendar for more details or call the Department of Public Works and Parks at 314-505-8560.
The Solid Waste Management Division does not operate on the following holidays:
• New Year's Day
• Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Day
• President's Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day
Guidelines and Requirements: CLICK HERE FOR AGREEMENT FORM
Residents should come to the Public Works and Parks Department at City Hall to complete a rental agreement and pay the rental fee up-front. The rental fee can also be made with a credit card (Visa and MasterCard) over the phone.
•Residents must sign the rental agreement and agree to take full responsibility for the replacement of lost or damaged containers
•Your signature approves the placement of any container on privately owned areas. University City cannot be held liable for any damage to privately owned areas or items, including streets, sidewalks or curbs.
•The dumpster can only be dropped off and picked up by the Solid Waste Division.
•Residents will need to reserve a special collection rental at least 5 days in advance. Normal delivery is Wednesday and Friday of each week.
•You will be charged an additional rental fee if container is not placed at the curb on the scheduled pickup date; this charge will be applied to your refuse bill from the City of University City.
•Participation is limited to the supply of available containers.
•Fees are per container per pickup.
•All outstanding accounts (bills) to the City of University City must be paid before using this service.
•By renting a waste container, you agree that University City will not be liable for any damage to private streets, curbs, sidewalks or property that may occur during placement or removal of any rental containers.
90-Gallon Cart Rental
• $25 rental fee per container for one pickup, if delivered by the City. Cart(s) would be delivered one week prior to regular trash day.
• Residents will be charged an additional $15 rental fee per container each week beyond the rental return period. To avoid the charge, resident must set out container on next regular trash day by 6:00 a.m.
•The City will remove the 90-gallon cart on the next trash collection day that is no longer than 5 business days based upon the City schedule.
Small Dumpster (3 cubic yard) Rental
• $100 rental fee per dumpster for one pickup (this includes the Right-of-Way permit fee). $50 must be paid for each additional 10 business days used or for each empty & return.
• The small dumpster will only be placed on the City's public streets or right-of-way (no private property or driveways). The Public Works and Parks Department will approve the final placement location.
• The dumpster will be removed on the scheduled and agreed upon pick up date and no longer than 10 business days based on the City schedule.
Large Dumpster (30 cubic yard) Rental
• $300.00 rental fee per roll-off dumpster
for one pickup, plus an additional $50 Right-of-Way permit fee. ($200.00 for each additional 10 business days or empty).
• The large commercial roll-off dumpster will be placed on the City's public streets (no private property or driveways). The Public Works Department will approve the final location.
• The Solid Waste Division will remove the large commercial dumpster on the scheduled/agreed upon pickup date no longer than 10 business days based upon the Solid Waste Division's schedule.
University City is one of only a few municipalities in the St. Louis metropolitan area to own and operate its own transfer station and solid waste collection vehicles. The Solid Waste Management Division is responsible for the collection and proper disposal of solid waste (trash, recycling, yard waste) from all homes, city owned buildings, and numerous businesses within the city.
University City Transfer Station
SERVICE ROUTE MAP & BILLING RATE STRUCTURE
Click Here to view the route map.
Click Here to view the billing rate structure.
Residents must follow these guidelines for all household trash, recycling, and yard waste disposal:
• Please place only trash in the trash cart – recycling must be separated and placed in the blue cart. For information on what is or is not recyclable, click here.
Common Recycling Contaminations
• Yard waste (leaves, grass clippings, brush and small tree trimmings) is banned from Missouri landfills and may not be placed in any furnished City container. Yard Waste must be placed in brown, biodegradable paper bags with a City yard waste sticker attached. For more information on yard waste, click here.
• Hazardous materials, tires, commercial items or business equipment, construction debris, medical waste, tires, batteries, liquid waste of any kind (i.e. paint), appliances (microwaves, freon units, etc.), florescent bulbs, e-waste (computers, printers, etc.), heavy rigid metal, motor oil, televisions CANNOT be placed in the trash cart. Click here for where to dispose of these items.