Applications for plumbing permits can be submitted to The Community Development Department, located on the 4th floor of City Hall . The hours of operation are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The office is closed on all City holidays. Download a Plumbing Permit Application
*Please be aware that applications for commercial buildings must be accompanied by 2 sets of plumbing plans that have been sealed, signed and dated by a Missouri registered design professional.
Plumbing permits are issued to Master Plumbers or Drainlayers who are licensed by St. Louis County. Plumbers licensed by St. Louis County also receive a license from University City. One may verify that a contractor is licensed by calling the Community Development Department or visiting the following website. Plumbers must show proof of license from St. Louis County as well as a second form of identification (such as a driver's license) when applying for a permit with University City.
An owner can receive a plumbing permit if the following conditions are met:
- The owner occupies the home.
- The owner personally performs all the work.
- The owner obtains a plumbing permit to perform work that meets the standards of University City's adopted ordinances and codes.
- The owner passes an open book exam. The exam is based on the currently adopted edition of the International Residential Code (Chapters 33-40). A current edition of the code book is available for use at the Community Development Department.
The following list is an example of plumbing work requiring permits and inspections:
- Soil pipe connections
- Replacements of sewer laterals
- Vent pipe installation
- Installation of water supply lines
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures